Saturday, January 17, 2015

Adobong Tadyang (Filipino Short Ribs)


A friend on facebook has made this dish twice and his wife raved about the unique flavors. I figured I had to give it a shot! And wow, it really is great! I couldn't find sherry vinegar. (I was able to find sherry cooking wine, but not sherry vinegar, so I substituted with red wine vinegar. I think the sherry vinegar would have had a bit more fullness and less acidity, so to compensate, I added a few tablespoons of brown sugar.) The end result was really tasty, and my friend's wife was right - it's a flavor I haven't had before and can't wait to have again!


INGREDIENTS

  • 3 tbsp. canola oil
  • 4 beef short ribs
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • 1½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • ¾ cup sherry vinegar
  • ¾ cup soy sauce
  • 24 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 3 small red Thai chiles
  • Cooked white rice, for serving (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

Heat oil in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high. Season ribs with salt and ½ tsp. pepper; working in batches, cook, turning as needed, until browned, about 15 minutes. Using a spoon, discard excess oil from pan. Stir in remaining pepper, the stock, coconut milk, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaves, and chiles; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered and stirring occasionally, until meat is falling off the bone, 2½–3 hours. Transfer ribs to a serving platter; keep warm. Simmer sauce over medium-high until thickened, 18–20 minutes; pour over ribs. Serve with rice, if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment