Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Thit Kho


Mom used to make this all the time. It's funny that this dish is often found on dinner tables in Vietnamese homes, but rarely will you ever find it at a Vietnamese restaurant. (They have versions of braised meats, like the ones normally made in clay pots, but rarely this dish with the hard-boiled eggs!)

Here's how I made it!

- 3 tbsp coconut caramel sauce (bought at an Asian grocery store bc I can't make caramel on my own for the life of me!)
- two cloves garlic, minced
- dash of olive oil
- 2 soda cans of coconut water/juice with pulp
- 2-3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 lb pork, cut into inch-and-a-half cubes (traditionally this dish is made with pork belly, but tonight I used tenderloin because it was on sale)
- 6 peeled hard-boiled eggs
- 1-2 tbsp brown sugar to taste
- cilantro for garnish

1) Par boil the chunks of pork for 2-3 minutes to get rid of the impurities. (This will ultimately make the juice clear and not cloudy.) Remove pork from boiling water and set aside.

2) In a big pot (I use my trusty Le Creuset Dutch oven) heat the caramel, garlic and olive oil. 

3) Add the pork to the pan so that all the pork is eventually covered in the caramel. Add fish sauce and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes.

4) Pour the two cans of coconut water I to the pot. Add the hard-boiled eggs. Cook on a simmer for at least 30-45 minutes, covered. The longer it cooks, the more flavorful it gets!

5) Like always, taste it while the sauce is cooking. This time around, I added some brown sugar to sweeten the sauce a bit.

5) Serve over white rice and garnish with cilantro.

(A side note...one of my favorite things to do is to cut open the hard-boiled egg and pour some of the sauce on it so that the yolk soaks up the yummy sauce!)

If you want a more detailed recipe with pics taken while cooking, check out this link. 

http://gastronomyblog.com/2007/03/20/thit-kho/


No comments:

Post a Comment